2017 Acreage Reporting


Filing an accurate crop and acreage report at your local FSA office can prevent the loss of benefits for a variety of programs. Annual acreage reports are required for most Farm Service Agency programs. Annual crop report deadlines vary based on region, crop, perennial vs. annual crop type, Noninsured Crop Disaster Assistance Program (NAP) or non-NAP crop, and fall or winter seeding.

To be eligible for the Agriculture Risk Coverage (ARC) and Price Loss Coverage (PLC) program or a Marketing Assistance Loan (MAL) or Loan Deficiency Payment (LDP), producers must submit an acreage report to account for all cropland on all farms.

In order to comply with FSA program eligibility requirements, all producers are encouraged to visit the local county FSA office to file an accurate crop certification by the applicable deadline.

The following acreage reporting dates are applicable for the entire state of Virginia:

May 15, 2017:  Cabbage planted 3/16 – 4/15, Spring Oats, Potatoes, tomatoes (planted on or before 5/15).

June 15, 2017:   Beans (Green) planted 3/4 – 5/25.

July 15, 2017:   All other crops for which specific acreage reporting date is not listed included, but not limited to Corn, Cotton, Grain Sorghum, Peanuts, Tobacco, Soybeans, CRP and vegetables that are not covered by a NAP Policy for the producer.

The following exceptions apply to the above acreage reporting dates:

  • If the crop has not been planted by the above acreage reporting date, then acreage must be reported no later than 15 calendar days after planting is completed.
  • If a producer acquired additional acreage after the above acreage reporting date, then acreage must be reported no later than 30 calendars days after purchase or acquiring the lease.  Appropriate documentation must be provided to the county office.
  • Noninsured Crop Disaster Assistance Program (NAP) policy holders should note that the acreage reporting date for NAP covered crops is the earlier of the dates listed above or 15 calendar days before grazing or harvesting of the crop begins.

For questions regarding crop certification and crop loss reports, please contact the Botetourt/Craig/Roanoke County FSA Office at (540) 977-2698, Ext. 2.


-Submitted by Hayley A Wentzel