Each year, the National Letter Carriers Union hosts a nationwide Stamp-Out-Hunger food drive. For years, the Salem Food Pantry has been the grateful recipient of the food collected in the 24153 area code. Last year the Food Pantry received 22,516 pounds in just six hours. We are hopeful to receive that much again this year on May 11. A lot of work goes into processing all that food, and we are looking for volunteers to help out that day at the Salem Civic Center.
- We will be at the Salem Civic Center from 1 to 6:30 pm on Saturday, May 11.
- Volunteers will be sorting the donated food as it is delivered by the letter carriers from the Salem Post Office.
- More volunteers will be needed from 4 to 6:30 as the letter carriers finish their routes
- Drinks will be provided, and pizza will be delivered about 3 pm.
- This is a great family or group activity. Children are encouraged to participate, if accompanied by an adult.
If you are able to help out that day, please call the Food Pantry at 389-6938 to sign up. You may also email us at email@example.com
Even if you are not able to volunteer, you can still help out by placing non-perishable food at your mailbox on Saturday, May 11 in the morning, before your mail is delivered.
- Jenny McCormick