Investigation into structure fire at 107 Hale Avenue concludes


The Salem Fire & EMS Department responded to a structure fire at 107 Hale Avenue at approximately 10:22 a.m. on Wednesday, March 6. When Firefighters arrived, they found flames coming from the first floor of the apartment building. All occupants were able to make it out of the building safely and there were no injuries, as a result of the fire.

The first units arrived within five minutes of receiving the call and found heavy fire and smoke coming from a ground floor apartment. The fire was brought under control within 12 minutes of the first engine’s arrival. The apartment sustained significant damage, but crews were able to contain the fire to the room where it started.

Approximately 28 personnel from the Salem Fire & EMS Department (Truck 1, Engine 2, Engine 3, Medic 801, Medic 802, Medic 803, Medic 804, Battalion 1 & Fire Medic 1) and the Roanoke Fire & EMS Department (Engine 13 & Battalion 1) responded to the call. The Roanoke Fire & EMS Department (Engine 4) handled additional calls while units were on scene.

After finishing his investigation, the Salem Fire Marshal concluded:

  • The fire at 107 Hale Avenue has been ruled accidental in nature.
  • The fire originated in an electrical junction box.
  • The damage estimate is $50,000


  • Submitted by Mike Stevens, City of Salem Communications Director