FIRST AND THIRD TUESDAYS
Salem Host Lions Club, 6:30 p.m., dinner and a program, Salem Civic Center.
Paint Bank Ladies Auxiliary meeting, 7:00 p.m. at the Paint Bank Fire Department. Contact 540-897-5346 for more information.
Salem TRIAD (S.A.L.T.) Council (Seniors and Law Enforcement Together) is a group working through the Office of the Attorney General, Salem Police Department and Senior Facilities (Salem Senior Center). The goal is to reduce the fear of crimes and victimization among seniors by increasing awareness of scams and frauds targeting them, strengthening communication between law enforcement and the senior community and educating seniors on local and state resources that are available in their area. A different topic for senior safety and information is covered every month with excellent speakers and presentations.
- Practice for the Salem Choral Society, 7-9 p.m. each Tuesday in the choir room of Salem Presbyterian Church, corner of Main and Market streets in downtown Salem. Membership is open to anyone who enjoys singing. For more information, see www.salemchoralsociety.comor contact director Reed Carter at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Salem Chess Players meet at the Salem Senior Center, 110 Union Street in Salem from 7-11 p.m. Open to anyone 16 years or older. Instruction available.
- Salem Kiwanis Club meets 11:45 a.m. – 1 p.m. for lunch, Salem Civic Center.
- Glenvar Rotary Club meets 12:15 – 1:15 p.m. for lunch, cafeteria in Richfield Retirement’s Recovery and Care Center, first floor. Guests welcome.
- Knights of Columbus hosts bingo for charity. Proceeds support local charities including RAM House, Madonna House, the Roanoke Rescue Mission, Saint Francis House, food pantries and various youth projects. Games are played from 5:30 – 9:30 p.m. at Gator Hall, located at 5301 Williamson Road, near Happy’s Flea Market.
*All ages are welcome to TOPS (Take off Pounds Sensibly) at 5:15 p.m. at the Salem Senior Center. For more information, call Judy at 540-312-7105.
Salem Rotary Club meets at noon for lunch, Salem Civic Center.
Salem Farmers Market, 9:30 a.m. until noon, weather permitting. Select vendors will have country sausage, cage-free eggs, grass-fed beef, cage-pasture-raised chicken, homemade rolls, artisan breads, muffins, seasonal greens and more.
WEDNESDAY, OCTOBER 25
Come join us out in the playground at Salem Church of Christ as we spend time together carving and decorating pumpkins for Halloween. Each child will get one pumpkin (while supplies last) to either decorate or carve. We will also have stickers, markers and other crafting supplies available for those that don’t want to get their hands dirty. We recommend that you come dressed to get messy. If the weather is rainy this event may be relocated inside the church.
SATURDAY, OCTOBER 28
*Food for Families Food Drive. 1477 West Main St. from 9 am to 3 pm. Contact 540-529-4982 or email email@example.com for more information.
*Second Annual Night Of Passion event for the Lupus Foundation Of America DC/MD/VA Chapter. All of the proceeds will be donated to their research center, in hopes to find a cure for one of the world’s most mysterious illnesses. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org 540-819-2283 for more information.
*Meet local author Richard Sarver at 10 a.m. at the Glenvar Library. A book signing and sale will follow afterwards. 100 percent of proceeds will go to the Salem Museum.
SUNDAY, OCTOBER 29
*Spiritual Steel Drum Concert to be held at Garden City Baptist Church at 4 p.m.
*Join us at 3pm for one of our most exciting charity wine dinners of the year featuring the prestigious Elyse Winery of Napa, California. A portion of proceeds will go to the Carilion Children’s Fund. Needless to say, we are really excited about this event! Make your reservations today – (540) 591-9005. More info about our charity wine dinners can be found at www.TizzoneWineBar.com
THURSDAY, NOVEMBER 9
*One in ten children will experience sexual abuse before his or her 18th birthday. Through “Stewards of Children,” learn ways to protect children from child sexual abuse, signs that a child is being abused, what to do if you suspect it and more at the South County Library from 6:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.
*Come have dinner with Nurse Practitioner Nicole Crowder at the Salem Health and Rehabilitation Center at 5:30 p.m. Contact 540-345-3894 or Carla.email@example.com for more information.