FIRST AND THIRD TUESDAYS
Salem Host Lions Club, 6:30 p.m., dinner and a program, Salem Civic Center.
Paint Bank Ladies Auxiliary meeting, 7:00 p.m. at the Paint Bank Fire Department. Contact 540-897-5346 for more information.
- Practice for the Salem Choral Society, 7-9 p.m. each Tuesday in the choir room of Salem Presbyterian Church, corner of Main and Market streets in downtown Salem. Membership is open to anyone who enjoys singing. For more information, see HYPERLINK “http://www.salemchoralsociety.com/” \t “_blank” Error! Hyperlink reference not valid.contact director Reed Carter at HYPERLINK “mailto:email@example.com” firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Salem Chess Players meet at the Salem Senior Center, 110 Union Street in Salem from 7-11 p.m. Open to anyone 16 years or older. Instructions are available.
- Salem Kiwanis Club meets 11:45 a.m. – 1 p.m. for lunch, Salem Civic Center.
- Glenvar Rotary Club meets 12:15 – 1:15 p.m. for lunch in Richfield Retirement’s Recovery and Care Center cafeteria, first floor. Guests welcome.
- Knights of Columbus hosts bingo for charity. Proceeds support local charities including RAM House, Madonna House, the Roanoke Rescue Mission, Saint Francis House, food pantries and various youth projects. Games are played from 5:30 – 9:30 p.m. at Gator Hall, located at 5301 Williamson Road, near Happy’s Flea Market.
- All ages are welcome to TOPS (Take off Pounds Sensibly) at 5:15 p.m. at the Salem Senior Center. For more information, call Judy at 540-312-7105.
Salem TRIAD (S.A.L.T.) Council (Seniors and Law Enforcement Together) is a group working through the Office of the Attorney General, Salem Police Department and Senior Facilities (Salem Senior Center). The goal is to reduce the fear of crimes and victimization among seniors by increasing awareness of scams and frauds targeting them, strengthening communication between law enforcement and the senior community and educating seniors on local and state resources that are available in their area. A different topic for senior safety and information is covered every month with excellent speakers and presentations.
Alzheimer’s /Dementia Caregiver Support Group at 2 p.m. at Salem Terrace at Harrogate.
- Salem Rotary Club meets at noon for lunch, Salem Civic Center.
- Catawba Valley Farmers Market open 3:30 to 7:00 p.m., May 10 to October 18, rain or shine. Local produce, meats, eggs, baked goods, plants, crafts and more. Music and educational displays on occasion. Located at Catawba Community Center, 4965 Catawba Creek Road (Rt. 779) in Catawba. Follow us on Facebook for weekly newsletter, updates and more. Handicap accessible, playground, restrooms.
- Salem Farmers Market from 9:30 a.m. to noon, weather permitting. Select vendors will have country sausage, cage-free eggs, grass-fed beef, cage-pasture-raised chicken, homemade rolls, pieces of artisan bread, muffins, seasonal greens and more.
- Beginning yoga class for seniors at Salem Terrace at Harrogate. Contact 540-444-0343 for more information.
SATURDAY, JUNE 2
- New Life Evangelical Presbyterian Church Yard Sale and Silent Auction. From 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. at 101 Keesling Avenue in Salem.
- Have a great time with the family and support a great cause by attending the fourth annual Spring Carnival Fundraiser at Infinity Acres Ranch, 136 Joppa Road, Ridgeway, VA, from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m.
Admission is $1 per person and includes refreshments, a petting animal area and music. For just $5, kids’ activity wristbands are available with prizes and include access to the “Dunk a Doc” booth, face painting, corn hole and more.
SATURDAY, JUNE 9
- In an attempt to raise money for the American Cancer Society, the Salem Relay For Life “United We Stand Against Cancer” event will last from noon to 10 pm at Longwood Park. For more information, contact Lisa Bain at email@example.com.
- The Great Road Craft Guild and The South West Virginia Blacksmith Guild are having an outdoor Craft Fair from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. at the Great Road Craft Guild 1812 Big Spring Drive in Elliston. Admission is free to the public!! The Blacksmith Guild will have demonstrations of blacksmithing. Anyone wanting additional information can contact Henry at the Great Road Craft Guild 540-380-3469.
SATURDAY, JUNE 23
Come to the Haley Toyota Field, home of the Salem Red Sox, and show support for our local heroes as they raise money for muscular dystrophy. Gates open at 3 pm and the Guns & Hoses game starts thirty minutes later. Sponsored by SERVPRO, all tickets purchased are valid for the Red Sox game as well.