FIRST AND THIRD TUESDAYS
Salem Host Lions Club, 6:30 p.m., dinner and a program, Salem Civic Center.
- Practice for the Salem Choral Society, 7-9 p.m. each Tuesday in the choir room of Salem Presbyterian Church, corner of Main and Market streets in downtown Salem. Membership is open to anyone who enjoys singing. For more information, see www.salemchoralsociety.comor contact director Reed Carter at email@example.com.
- Salem Chess Players meet at the Salem Senior Center, 110 Union Street in Salem from 7-11 p.m. Open to anyone 16 years or older. Instruction available.
- Salem Kiwanis Club meets 11:45 a.m. – 1 p.m. for lunch, Salem Civic Center.
- Glenvar Rotary Club meets 12:15 – 1:15 p.m. for lunch, cafeteria in Richfield Retirement’s Recovery and Care Center, first floor. Guests welcome.
- Knights of Columbus hosts bingo for charity. Proceeds support local charities including RAM House, Madonna House, the Roanoke Rescue Mission, Saint Francis House, food pantries and various youth projects. Games are played from 5:30 – 9:30 p.m. at Gator Hall, located at 5301 Williamson Road, near Happy’s Flea Market.
Salem Rotary Club meets at noon for lunch, Salem Civic Center.
Salem Farmers Market, 9:30 a.m. until noon, weather permitting. Select vendors will have country sausage, cage-free eggs, grass-fed beef, cage-pasture-raised chicken, homemade rolls, artisan breads, muffins, seasonal greens and more.
FRIDAY, MAY 5
Join Hopetree Family Services from 5 p.m. to 9 p.m. for a great night of fun with family and friends at the Glow for Hope 5K Run & Walk. This timed 5K night race will light up the streets of Salem to raise awareness and support for Hopetree. All proceeds will go directly toward vital services to people in need. Contact 540-389-5469 for more information.
SATURDAY, MAY 6
*The East Mont Garden Club and the Meadowbrook Library are sponsoring the 13th Annual Garden Day and Tractor Show on Saturday from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. It will take place in the courtyard of the Meadowbrook Center in Shawsville at the corner of Route 460 and Alleghany Spring Rd. This is a family friendly event designed to increase awareness and participation in any type of gardening/small scale farming. We will have a tractor show to include both regular size and riding mowers with prizes for people’s choice, most original tractor and most unique riding mower. For information contact Marie firstname.lastname@example.org or the Meadowbrook Library at 268-1964.
SUNDAY, MAY 7
Fresh from their performance in New York City’s Carnegie Hall, the Salem Choral Society is pleased to present “Music Down in My Soul” under the direction of S. Reed Carter IV in Salem Presbyterian Church at 4 p.m. In addition to an encore performance of John Rutter’s “Requiem”, the choral group will delight the audience with an eclectic mix of several joyous and uplifting songs of America and faith.