Salem Host Lions Club, 6:30 p.m., dinner and a program, Salem Civic Center.
Paint Bank Ladies Auxiliary meeting, 7:00 p.m. at the Paint Bank Fire Department. Contact 540-897-5346 for more information.
Salem TRIAD (S.A.L.T.) Council (Seniors and Law Enforcement Together) is a group working through the Office of the Attorney General, Salem Police Department and Senior Facilities (Salem Senior Center). The goal is to reduce the fear of crimes and victimization among seniors by increasing awareness of scams and frauds targeting them, strengthening communication between law enforcement and the senior community and educating seniors on local and state resources that are available in their area. A different topic for senior safety and information is covered every month with excellent speakers and presentations.
- Practice for the Salem Choral Society, 7-9 p.m. each Tuesday in the choir room of Salem Presbyterian Church, corner of Main and Market streets in downtown Salem. Membership is open to anyone who enjoys singing. For more information, see www.salemchoralsociety.comor contact director Reed Carter at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Salem Chess Players meet at the Salem Senior Center, 110 Union Street in Salem from 7-11 p.m. Open to anyone 16 years or older. Instruction available.
- Salem Kiwanis Club meets 11:45 a.m. – 1 p.m. for lunch, Salem Civic Center.
- Glenvar Rotary Club meets 12:15 – 1:15 p.m. for lunch, cafeteria in Richfield Retirement’s Recovery and Care Center, first floor. Guests welcome.
- Knights of Columbus hosts bingo for charity. Proceeds support local charities including RAM House, Madonna House, the Roanoke Rescue Mission, Saint Francis House, food pantries and various youth projects. Games are played from 5:30 – 9:30 p.m. at Gator Hall, located at 5301 Williamson Road, near Happy’s Flea Market.
*All ages are welcome to TOPS (Take off Pounds Sensibly) at 5:15 p.m. at the Salem Senior Center. For more information, call Judy at 540-312-7105.
Salem Rotary Club meets at noon for lunch, Salem Civic Center.
Salem Farmers Market, 9:30 a.m. until noon, weather permitting. Select vendors will have country sausage, cage-free eggs, grass-fed beef, cage-pasture-raised chicken, homemade rolls, artisan breads, muffins, seasonal greens and more.
OCTOBER 5 – OCTOBER 7
It is again time for the Paint Bank Fire Department to make apple butter. We will begin peeling and cutting apples at 8:00 a.m. on Thursday. On Friday and Saturday we will start cooking the apples at 5:00 a.m. We would appreciate help from anyone who can spare some time. We will sell the apple butter for $6.00 per pint. Lunch will be served each day. You may call 897-5210 to order or for further information.
SATURDAY, OCTOBER 7
Come and experience Happy Trails Virginia Style – a Western event with stars plus films – at the Valley View Holiday Inn. Contact Dr. Fred Eichelman at email@example.com or 540-819-2032 for more information.
SATURDAY, OCTOBER 14
Come join us at First Christian Church at 712 Front Ave. Salem, VA for our Fourth Annual Fall Bazaar from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. Items include baked goods, jewelry, handcrafted décor, Author Carolyn Roth signing books, personalized items, raffles and much more! Breakfast and lunch served all day!
SATURDAY, OCTOBER 21
Breast cancer is the most common type of cancer in American women, with the exception of skin cancer. It accounts for one in three cancers diagnosed in women. Studies have identified numerous risk factors for breast cancer in women, including hormonal, lifestyle and environmental factors that may increase the risk of the disease. These and other factors will be discussed at Shiloh Baptist Church at 1 p.m. We will have a guest cancer survivor and presenter will be Rita Joyce.
SATURDAY, OCTOBER 28
Second Annual Night Of Passion event for the Lupus Foundation Of America DC/MD/VA Chapter. All of the proceeds will be donated to their research center, in hopes to find a cure for one of the worlds most mysterious illnesses. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org or 540-819-2283 for more information.
SUNDAY, OCTOBER 29
Spiritual Steel Drum Concert to be held at Garden City Baptist Church at 4 p.m.