Roanoke College retired the number 16 uniform of the late Bill Doxanas last Saturday during Alumni Weekend. Doxanas was a 1972 graduate of Roanoke College and the first lacrosse All-American at the school. While at RC the lacrosse program developed and Bill was enshrined in the Roanoke Athletic College Hall of Fame. Above, Bill’s brother, Dr. Marc Doxanas, holds the framed jersey that will hang in the Cregger Center and he’s joined by his grandson Taggert Bailey, who plays lacrosse and also wears number 16. Standing behind, left to right, are some of the early lacrosse team members and teammates of Doxanas. Left to right; John Meaney ‘73, Bryant Gould ‘72, Buzz Getschel ‘71, Terry Purvis ‘69, Dale Sarjeant ’74, Ted Murphy ‘71, Bill Sherman ‘73, Pat Gill ‘72, Terry Smith ‘67, Jay Brooks ’74, Gary Trageser ‘67, Coach Milt Brownstein ‘72, Stan Ward ’73 and Braxton Andrews ’73. Below left, former Maroon great Chris Keating had his number retired at Kerr Stadium as well Saturday. Left to right are RC coach Bill Pilat, Keating and son Colton and RC athletic director Scott Allison holding Chris’ framed jersey. Below right, the training clinic at the Cregger Center was named in honor of retired trainer and faculty member Jim Buriak, who served the college from the early ’80s until recent years. The facility will henceforth be known as the Jim Buriak Athlete Training Clinic. Left to right are RC President Michael Maxey, Buriak, Jim’s daughter Laura and wife Carol and Dr. Bert Spetzler, who worked with Jim and the college for many years sending trainers into the real world. Also, on Saturday the Roanoke College tennis courts on the Elizabeth Campus were named in honor of Carl B. Sheretz, a 1942 RC graduate.
PHOTOS BY RYAN HUNT & BRIAN HOFFMAN