On Sunday afternoon, the Christiansburg Police Department responded to a call in reference to a residential fire in the 100 block of Hill Street.
Upon arrival, the first officer on scene, Capt. Doug Weddle, entered the residence to check for occupants.
One adult male resident was sleeping inside. Weddle rescued the man and four dogs from the residence.
After exiting the structure, he was overcome by smoke and transported by police vehicle to LewisGale Hospital Montgomery, where he was treated for smoke inhalation. Capt. Weddle is a 17-year veteran of the police department.
The home was a complete loss. Christiansburg Fire Department has determined the cause of the fire was the improper disposal of smoking materials.
Weddle returned to work on Monday.