The City of Salem has been monitoring the potential spread of COVID-19, and like you, we have been processing a great deal of information. The safety of citizens, school children and visitors is always the number one priority from the Salem Civic Center to City Hall. Emergency Management team members are in constant contact with the Virginia Department of Health, the Roanoke-Alleghany Health Department and area health professionals at our local hospitals. During this time of uncertainty, people are encouraged to monitor the website (salemva.gov) for official city details on closings or cancellations. This site will be updated daily whenever there is new information.
Salem Host Lions Club, 6:30 p.m., dinner and a program, Salem Civic Center.
Paint Bank Ladies Auxiliary meeting, 7:00 p.m. at the Paint Bank Fire Department. Contact 540-897-5346 for more information.
- Practice for the Salem Choral Society, 7-9 p.m. each Tuesday in the choir room of Salem Presbyterian Church, corner of Main and Market streets in downtown Salem. Membership is open to anyone who enjoys singing. For more information, go to www.salemchoralsociety.comorcontact director Reed Carter at email@example.com.
- Salem Chess Players meet at the Salem Senior Center, 110 Union Street in Salem from 7-11 p.m. Open to anyone 16 years or older. Instructions are available.
- Salem Kiwanis Club meets 11:45 a.m. – 1 p.m. for lunch, Salem Civic Center.
- Glenvar Rotary Club meets 12:15 – 1:15 p.m. for lunch in Richfield Retirement’s Recovery and Care Center cafeteria, first floor. Guests welcome.
- Knights of Columbus hosts bingo for charity. Proceeds support local charities including RAM House, Madonna House, the Roanoke Rescue Mission, Saint Francis House, food pantries and various youth projects. Games are played from 5:30 – 9:30 p.m. at Gator Hall, at 5301 Williamson Road, near Happy’s Flea Market.
- Infinity Acres Ranch Fundraiser from 4 p.m. to 8 p.m. at Christ Episcopal Church at 321 E. Church Street in Blacksburg. Tickets are $8 while children eight and younger can eat for $4. For more information, contact 276-358-2378.
- All ages are welcome to TOPS (Take off Pounds Sensibly) at 5:15 p.m. at the Salem Senior Center. For more information, contact Linda at 540-389-4207.
- Overeaters Anonymous (OA) meeting. 7 p.m. at Christ Lutheran Church at 2011 Brandon Avenue in Roanoke. Contact 540-293-4065 for more information.
- From 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., a chair caning and basket weaving class will occur at the Salem Senior Center. While free, attendees are encouraged to bring their own lunch. For more information, contact 540-375-3054.
The monthly meeting for National Association of Women in Construction (NAWIC) Roanoke Valley Chapter #226 at the Valley View Holiday Inn. The meeting and dinner will begin at 6 p.m. For more information, visit firstname.lastname@example.org.
Alzheimer’s /Dementia Caregiver Support Group at 2 p.m. at Salem Terrace at Harrogate.
Roanoke County Woman’s Club meets at 10:30 a.m. in the conference room at College Lutheran Church in Salem. New members are welcome.
The Salem Senior Center’s Social Club, known as the 49ers Plus Club, originally started the senior program in Salem over 40 years ago. They have different speakers and/or activities practically every week. New members are always welcome to show up at the Salem Senior Center at 11 a.m. Contact 540-375-3054 for more information.
- Salem Farmers Market from 9:30 a.m. to noon, weather permitting. Select vendors will have country sausage, cage-free eggs, grass-fed beef, cage-pasture-raised chicken, homemade rolls, pieces of artisan bread, muffins, seasonal greens and more.
- Overeaters Anonymous (OA) meeting. 11 a.m. at Christ Lutheran Church at 2011 Brandon Avenue in Roanoke.
During the suspension of public worship in the church, St. Paul’s Episcopal will broadcast live a worship service at 10 a.m. on Facebook: facebook.com/st.pauls.salemva — or on the Facebook app.
OCTOBER 8 – OCTOBER 11
Four Salem Fair Food Concessionaires will be set up in the Salem Civic Center parking lot and open for business from 11am to 7pm each day. Cash and Credit/Debit Cards accepted. Favorites like Dill Pickle Pizza, Blooming Onions, Chicken on a Stick, Funnel Cakes, Lemonade, Kettle Corn and much more will be sold. Concessionaires will continue to operate in the event of rain, but not inclement weather (lightning, high winds, etc.). During these times, the concessionaires may be temporarily shut down.
FRIDAY, OCTOBER 9
The Virginia Fire Chiefs Foundation 5th Annual Golf Tournament will occur at the Hanging Rock Golf Club in Salem. The foundation provides educational opportunities, including scholarships, to fire and emergency service professionals and their families. Registration opens at 11 am and the shotgun start time will be at noon. The format will be captain’s choice. Sponsorship opportunities are available. For any questions or additional information, contact Chief John Prillman at 540-375-3080 or Jaime Dillard at 540-389-5818.