RCAHD Weekly Health Update: COVID-19: Cumulative Case Count Roanoke City and Alleghany Health Districts: 67326 (up 673; People hospitalized with COVID-19, as of Monday 7/11/2022: 21; 16 new hospitalizations; COVID-19 related deaths, as of Tuesday 7/12/2022: 1017; 636 Alleghany Health District, 381 Roanoke City Health District. Current CDC Variant Proportions: Over 75% of cases are attributable to BA.4 (19.8%) or BA.5 (56.3%) in HSS Region 3, which includes Virginia. Hepatitis A Outbreak: Since January 1, 2022, 76 cases of hepatitis A, including 55 hospitalizations, have been reported in the RCHADs. Substance use disorder, specifically injection drug use, continues to be the most commonly identified risk factor in this outbreak. People are encouraged to consider getting vaccinated against hepatitis A. Submitted by Roanoke County and Alleghany Health Districts
Senior Golf Tour results announced: Rick Crotts of Salem, VA was the Overall Winner of the Roanoke Valley Senior Golf Tour’s tournament played on July 11th at The Pete Dye River Course of Virginia Tech in Radford, VA. Playing in Division 1 Crotts posted a net score of 63. Other Division 1 winners were: 2nd, Jeff Lynch – 68; 3rd, Craig Hill – 69; 4th, Garry Mundy – 70; 5th, Ben Harris – 70. Lee McClennan of Cloverdale, VA was the Division 2 Winner with a 65. Other Division 2 winners were: 2nd, Coy Renick – 67; 3rd, Stephen Krueger – 68; 4th, Bill Houck – 70; 5th, Patrick Lynch – 70. Playing in Division 3, Mick Callahan of Boones Mill was the winner with a 69. Other Division 3 winners were: 2nd, Dana Huffman – 69; 3rd, Mike Sims – 70; 4th, Wayne Strickland – 71; 5th, Gary Webb – 71. Tournament Low Gross winner was Rick Crotts with a 72. Submitted by Tommy Firebaugh
Rock N Roll Weekend at Dr. Pepper Park: Rock and Roll is back this weekend at Dr Pepper Park! Two shows featuring legendary metal band Quiet Riot and nationally successful Foo Fighters Tribute act – the Fooz Fighters will rock the weekend in Roanoke. On Friday, fans have the chance to experience the closest performance to the real deal, the Fooz Fighters who were featured on
Jimmy Fallon’s new TV Series “Clash Of The Cover Bands” and became season finalists. Submitted by Dr. Pepper Park
VDOT Road Watch: A road project to replace the signalized intersection of Route 311 and Route 419 in Roanoke County at Hanging Rock with a roundabout is set to begin. During construction, lane closures and a road closure with detour June through August will be in place. Drivers should expect the following:
- Closure & Detour: As of June 20, a portion of the Route 419 and Route 311 intersection is closed and a detour is in place for approximately four to six weeks. It is scheduled to reopen in August or September. Motorists should be aware of the following impacts:
- Traffic will not be able to turn left from Thompson Memorial Drive (Route 311) onto Catawba Valley Drive (Route 311)
- Thompson Memorial Drive traffic will not be able to drive straight through the intersection onto Route 419.
- Route 419 traffic will not be able to continue straight at the intersection onto Thompson Memorial Drive.
- No U-turns on Route 311 allowed.
During the partial intersection closure, drivers will need to use alternate routes and can detour using Interstate 81 exit 140 onto Thompson Memorial Drive and exit 141 onto Route 419. Using Main Street in Salem to reroute onto Route 419 or Thompson Memorial Drive around the partial intersection closure is another option.
- August through November: The new roundabout is expected to be open to traffic in August or September. Drivers should still expect nighttime lane closures with flaggers between 9 p.m. and 6 a.m., Sunday through Thursday around the roundabout for final paving, pavement marking and sign installation.
Submitted by VDOT