THURSDAY, MAY 9
- Catawba Valley Farmers Market opens from 3:30 – 7:00 p.m., rain or shine. Meats, produce, baked goods and crafts. See updates on Facebook and on the website – www.catawbafarmersmarket.com. For information on becoming a vendor, contact Ann Harrell, Market Manager, at 540.864.5913 or email@example.com.
- The community is encouraged to visit Salem High to learn about plans for “Additions and Phase 1 Renovations” to the school. The facility has served the young people of Salem with for the past 42 years. But the needs of students, of our community, and of education, in general, continue to evolve, so the time has come to make the significant improvements that will enable everyone to continue providing Salem’s young people with an excellent school for generations to come. There will be three short tours starting at 6pm, 6:15pm and 6:30pm. The main event will begin at 7 p.m. in the auditorium.
TUESDAY, MAY 14
A free concert and lunch featuring Soprano Marlayna Maynard and pianist Cara Modisett will start at 12:15 p.m. at the St. Paul’s Episcopal Church at 42 East Main Street in Salem.
FRIDAY, MAY 17
This Salem After Five Concert Series will feature Maggie Baugh at the Salem Farmers Market. Gates open at 5 p.m., the music starts at 6 p.m. and all proceeds from the concerts will benefit several worthwhile charities throughout Virginia’s Blue Ridge region. Contact 540-375-4098 for more information.
SATURDAY, MAY 18
The 11th annual City of Salem golf tournament will be held at the Salem Municipal Golf Course. This year’s proceeds will benefit Andrew Lewis Middle School teacher and former Salem High wrestling coach Randall Sell, who was recently diagnosed with lung cancer despite never smoking a day in his life. Cost of the tournament is $35 per person or $140 for a team of four, and it includes 18 holes of golf along with prizes, refreshments and lunch. There are two tee times, at 8:30 am and 1:30 pm.
SUNDAY, MAY 19
Shiloh Baptist Church will celebrate its 123rd Church Anniversary / Homecoming at 11 am. Reverend Adrian E. Dowell and the Shiloh congregation invite the community to ascend in “Growing Stronger, Growing Deeper, and Reaching Higher.” The Reverend James A. Dowell, Sr. of Macedonia Baptist Church, Greenville, SC will be our guest speaker.
MAY 18 – MAY 19
The Annual Salem Gun & Knife Show will take place at the Salem Civic Center from 10 am to 5 pm. The cost of admission for adults is $9.00 and free for children 12 and under. No loaded firearms. For more information, contact www.cegunshows.com.
Salem Host Lions Club, 6:30 p.m., dinner and a program, Salem Civic Center.
Paint Bank Ladies Auxiliary meeting, 7:00 p.m. at the Paint Bank Fire Department. Contact 540-897-5346 for more information.
- Practice for the Salem Choral Society, 7-9 p.m. each Tuesday in the choir room of Salem Presbyterian Church, corner of Main and Market streets in downtown Salem. Membership is open to anyone who enjoys singing. For more information, see HYPERLINK “http://www.salemchoralsociety.com/” \t “_blank” Error! Hyperlink reference not valid. contact director Reed Carter at HYPERLINK “mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org” email@example.com.
- Salem Chess Players meet at the Salem Senior Center, 110 Union Street in Salem from 7-11 p.m. Open to anyone 16 years or older. Instructions are available.
- Salem Kiwanis Club meets 11:45 a.m. – 1 p.m. for lunch, Salem Civic Center.
- Glenvar Rotary Club meets 12:15 – 1:15 p.m. for lunch in Richfield Retirement’s Recovery and Care Center cafeteria, first floor. Guests welcome.
- Knights of Columbus hosts bingo for charity. Proceeds support local charities including RAM House, Madonna House, the Roanoke Rescue Mission, Saint Francis House, food pantries and various youth projects. Games are played from 5:30 – 9:30 p.m. at Gator Hall, located at 5301 Williamson Road, near Happy’s Flea Market.
- Infinity Acres Ranch Fundraiser from 4 p.m. to 8 p.m. at Christ Episcopal Church, located at 321 E. Church Street. Tickets are $8 while children eight and younger can eat for $4. For more information, contact 276-358-2378.
- All ages are welcome to TOPS (Take off Pounds Sensibly) at 5:15 p.m. at the Salem Senior Center. For more information, call Judy at 540-312-7105.
- Overeaters Anonymous (OA) meeting. 7 p.m. at Christ Lutheran Church, located at 2011 Brandon Avenue in Roanoke. Contact 540-293-4065 for more information.
The Southern Cross Chapter 746 of the United Daughters of the Confederacy will hold its monthly meeting at the Salem Historical Museum. Refreshments and social time will begin at 1:30 pm, and the meeting itself begins at 2 pm. For more information, call Sharon Rose at 540-354-9374.
Alzheimer’s /Dementia Caregiver Support Group at 2 p.m. at Salem Terrace at Harrogate.
Roanoke County Woman’s Club meets at 10:30 a.m. in the conference room at College Lutheran Church in Salem. New members are welcome.
The Salem Senior Center’s Social Club, known as the 49ers Plus Club, originally started the senior program in Salem over 40 years ago. They have different speakers and/or activities practically every week. New members are always welcome to show up at the Salem Senior Center at 11 a.m.
- Salem Farmers Market from 9:30 a.m. to noon, weather permitting. Select vendors will have country sausage, cage-free eggs, grass-fed beef, cage-pasture-raised chicken, homemade rolls, pieces of artisan bread, muffins, seasonal greens and more.
- Overeaters Anonymous (OA) meeting. 11 a.m. at Christ Lutheran Church located at 2011 Brandon Avenue in Roanoke. Contact 540-293-4065 for more information.