From the 1938 centennial edition of The Times-Register
Born June 14, 1849, Charles Lewellyn Bush, one of the founders of the Clover Creamery company, was a boy of twelve years when the War Between the States broke out, being a son of Peter Jacob Bush. There were no free schools and his education was obtained from tutors in private schools of Roanoke and Montgomery counties. When the war ended, he was a youth of sixteen, and started life under the handicap of reconstruction and carpetbag rule inflicted upon the South after the end of the war.
He was reared on a farm and he remained a farmer, cattle raiser and dairyman to the end. He owned and operated one of the best farms in Roanoke county located just east of the Town of Vinton. About 1890 he became active in the development of Vinton and was one of the official promoters of one or two of the most popular subdivisions of the town. Along about the same time he joined M. F. Carner and established the lumber and planing mill firm of Bush and Carner in Roanoke. Their plant, located on Norfolk avenue about the present site of the freight depot of the Norfolk & Western after a few years’ operation, was destroyed by fire and never rebuilt. Mr. Bush’s hobby was raising beef cattle and in addition to looking after his home farm and the business of the Clover Creamery, he purchased and operated a fine stock farm in Greenbriar county, W.Va.
Mr. Bush married Sarah Alice Muse, daughter of Thomas R. and Mary (Hoffman) Muse. The following children were born to this union: Mamie who died early in life, Howard M., now president and manager of the Clover Creamery Company, Florence (deceased), Lula H., T. Martin, Kathleen (deceased) Ernest (died in infancy), Carrie B. who became the wife of Frank E. McDonald. Mr. Bush died October 4, 1933.